Choosing the right dentist is extremely important. You want to make sure your smile is in the right hands. Knowing the difference in the 9 different dental specialties is a key piece to making the right choice for you or your family. At Altschuler Periodontic and Implant Center, our Gainesville dentists want to help you feel confident when choosing who to trust with your oral health.
Exploring The 9 Dental Specialties
- Dental Public Health– This specialization focuses on preventing and controlling dental disease and promoting dental health through organized community efforts and education.
- Endodontics- This is the dental specialty concerned with the study and treatment of the dental pulp. Dental pulp is the live connective tissue and cells in the center your tooth.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology– This is the dental specialty that identifies and manages diseases affecting the oral and jaw regions and investigates the causes, processes, and effects of these diseases
- Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology– This is the dental specialty concerned with performance and interpretation of x-rays and other images used for examining the face, jaw, dental and adjacent structures.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery– This is the dental specialty which includes the diagnosis, surgical and additional treatment of diseases, injuries and defects involving both the functional and esthetic aspects of the hard and soft tissues of the face, jaw, neck, head, and mouth.
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics– This is the dental specialty that includes the diagnosis, prevention, interception, and correction of alignment, as well as abnormalities of the developing or mature structure of teeth.
- Pediatric Dentistry– This is the dental specialty that provides both primary and comprehensive oral health care for infants and children through adolescence.
- Periodontics– This is the dental specialty which includes the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases of the supporting and surrounding tissues of the teeth or their substitutes.
- Prosthodontics– This is the dental specialty concerned with the aesthetic (cosmetic) restoration and replacement of teeth.
Ensuring your specialist can give you the best care is important to making sure your smile looks and feels its best. If you are unsure if a periodontist the right choice for you or you want to schedule a consultation- Contact us at Altschuler Periodontic and Implant center to schedule an appointment. We look forward to answering your questions and helping you achieve your best smile.